I had an amazing
“Golden Week” without even leaving Beijing. More or less, it can be summed up
in a few words: Visits from home, touristing, ice cream, and a rock.
Andrew arrived
on Thursday – I’ve never seen anyone quite so disoriented coming off a plane
before. It’s funny, because I’m sure that’s what Alicia, Becca, and I looked
like in August. Unfortunately, the AQI on arrival day was pretty much the
picture of what it would be for the rest of the week. Too bad you couldn’t
really see the picture for the smog..
Friday was a
school day today, which was pretty helpful because Andrew was able to
acclimatize (to the best of his abilities). He also did his best to arrange the
mess that was (and still is) my apartment. Very grateful.
On Friday night,
we had plans to go for Peking Duck with a crew from the school. A Beijing
specialty! As we were getting ready, we had a sparkly little detour that
included a lot of smiles and a few tears. Duck was good – but not as impressive
as it has been built up to be. Then again, I’m not really a “food person”, so
what do I know.
We went home and
called everyone, then called it a night. All in all, a pretty impressive first
day in Beijing for Andrew Jones.
Saturday we hit
the ground running. So much to see, so little time. We got some breakfast at a
local restaurant and then hit the aquarium. I’ve got to say, it was the most
impressive aquarium I’ve ever seen – it was beautiful inside and they had a ton
of different fish and amazing themed rooms. My favourite part were the
jellyfish – a whole room of them! Brings me back to summers on the lake with
Erin and Joe.
Sunday morning
we got up for church and ended up meeting Geetika and Gary, and Geetika’s momma
– which worked out nicely. When church was done, we headed off to Starbucks and
then to the fruit and veggie market. I wanted Andrew to experience getting all
the veggies for the week for under 5$. It’s a happy feeling. Nacho making was
next, and then we trekked off to the subway.
The next thing
on the agenda was a tour of the Forbidden City. We had booked the tour through
Beijing Postcards and it was well worth the 300RMB. It was great to have a
guide that was as knowledgeable as Lars – and we were thankful to have someone
to guide us through the maze that is the Forbidden City.
We learned a ton
on the tour, but we also learned an important lesson once the tour was over –
always know where the nearest subway station is! Eventually we found one, and
made out way to Line 10 and home – on the way, we stopped for Indian. Typical.
Wake up call on
Monday came early, but that was okay – we were heading to the Great Wall of
China! Geetika and Gary had organized a van, so a crew of us hopped in around
6:45 and drove to the Mutianyu section of the wall. Sadly, Andrew and I lost the
rest of the group almost immediately. Despite that, we enjoyed our trek
immensely and met some really fun people from all over the world. I also got
mobbed like a superstar would by a Chinese school group. I wish I had some of
their pictures because I’m sure they’re hilarious.
Speaking of
hilarious, we had a pretty entertaining lunch and van ride back to the school
with our group. There’s nothing quite like spending time with good friends.
Andrew’s first
“market” experience was on Monday evening. We ventured into Yashow and made a
few purchases – it’s pretty overwhelming the first time, but after a couple of
small purchases my boy got his bartering under control – success. A few movies
came home with us as well – so we spent the evening watching movies and
chatting.
On Tuesday
morning, we woke up to an intense rainstorm. It was nice to have a lazy morning
after the “go, go, go” of the first half of the week. Once the rain slowed
down, Andrew and I headed to the Temple of Heaven. It turned into a stunning
day – blue skies and warm weather. More gelato was eaten, more trees were
hugged – just another day at the Temple of Heaven!
Wednesday
morning we woke up and went to Chaoyang Park – Geetika took engagement pictures
for us! They turned out so nice, and will be in a following post (along with
some of the “rock” stories). We had the best time, though we were a little
silly and Geetika said – more than once – okay, could you smile now, please?
Oops.
After our photoshoot
(we sound so fancy), I took Andrew to the art district. 798 turned out to be
one of the highlights of the trip – at least for me. It’s really an amazing
place – so many little shops and galleries. We had a great time exploring, and
I got myself a love gift out of it. More Christmas presents were also
identified. Success!
We didn’t learn
our lesson and had no idea where we were at – but we found the Silk Market! No
purchases made this time around, though we successfully made a few vendors
really angry because we wanted cheaper prices for their silks. Oops.
By the time we
got home, we were starving. Time to order Indian! Bonus: Becca and Alicia
arrived home from Shanghai. We had a family dinner and shared our weekend
stories – and the engagement pictures Geetika took. Camesha and Raquel stopped
by to say hi, and then it was finally time for bed.
Sadly, even the
best weeks have to come to a close. Friday morning was doom and gloom. I took
Andrew to Solana to get him my “pick me up” when I’m bummed out – gelato!
Seriously, ice cream fixes everything (especially when it is hazelnut flavoured).
Taxi rides and air plane takeoffs followed – definitely bummer.
Amazing, amazing
week with my love. It was such a blessing to share part of this adventure with
him – so many more adventures to come, and I couldn’t be more excited for all
of them!




No comments:
Post a Comment